Re: [ST] Re: Gas mileage?

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, VB wrote:

> Gas mileage? My low gas light comes on at 120 miles.  The gas gauge reads
> empty at 160 miles.  The previous owner of my bike said that he'd run out of
> gas (dry) at 180 miles, that means he was getting 32 MPG.  The 1999 Triumph
> specifications state that the ST's gas tank holds "5.6 gallons US".  I've
> read articles and emails that claim the ST gets 45 to 50 MPG.  5.6 gallons X
> 45 MPG would give a tank range of  252 miles!!!      I am not a hot-dogger,
> I run between 4 and 5 grand on the tach.    Does anybody out there actually
> get 252 miles per tank?  At what mileage does your gas light come on?  VB

Damn, something is wrong with your bike. This past summer when I was
purely slabin I would judge how the tank of gas was going by looking at
when the needle got fully past the F line. Often with pure 85mph (true,
not speedo) slabin I would get 110-120 miles out of the top bit of the
tank. Now I am lucky to get 60-70 in city.

I just ran my bike in the garage testing some electrical stuffs and sure
enough the smell of gas was found.

To answer your question my bike has seen 50-52 mpg slabin and 42-45 on
the Blue Ridge Parkway (and I was not riding consevatively, but always
with in the speed limit!)

I hope you find the issue.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 10 months old, 14,800 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500