Re: [ST] SuperCross non ST

At 03:12 PM 1/20/2002 -0800, MarcD  wrote:
>Went to the SuperCross races at Anaheim yesterday, great seats thanx to EA,
>fun folks to hang with, and most of all some actually damn good racing.
>
>Interesting note: most redneck, all white, buzz-cut and mullet coifed crowd
>I've hung out in for a while, and the hero of the day is a 16 y.o. black
>kid from somewhere in the Southern boonies

Florida, actually, which does not qualify as Southern boonies. FL is not a
part of the South, you know (except for the panhandle)

>named...get this...James
>Stewart.

His arrival to Pro Racing has been the most anticipated one for a long
time. He had decimated the amateur ranks for the past several years so the
excitement surrounding his professional debut was
phenomenal.

>He dumped it in the first lap of the final, went to last (22nd), and
>managed to get back to 2nd by the finish. And the crowd egged him on with
>every pass, on their feet for the last lap.

Motorcycle racing crowds (road & mx/sx) love charges from back of the pack
the most. It's hard not to pull for a guy mowing them down like Stewart did.

>I don't think he got any special "love" because he's black. But to be
>honest, I don't think anyone in the crowd really cared...and that's the
>interesting point. Think that'd happen at a faculty or board meeting??
>Sometimes I think it's the Camaro-driving, Palmdale-living folks that are
>going to lead us out of this mess...

Your sociological point here is a good one. That crowd for the most part
was behind Stewart because A) he was/is so blazing fast, B) he's the latest
greatest (read new) rider. Some, like myself, also pull for him because he
is black. Call me whatever you want at this point. The fact is that I have
been a fan of professional & amateur motocross & supercorss for many years.
There has been almost without exception (Andy Jefferson I believe was the
guy's name in late 80's) a total lack of diversity in this sport. I have
always felt fans of this sport are exactly as you describe above with one
footnote - they are not prejudiced. Yeah they're red-necks, yeah they got
the bad haircuts and attitudes but when it comes to racing they are
colorblind - fast is fast, color is not a factor. Sure there are some
exceptions in any large group but were talking generalities here. I'm
delighted we will soon have a black MX/SX star for the sake of diversity.
Hey guys this is America and diversity is what makes us strong! How many
times has that cliche` been beaten to death. But it's true.

John Petrey, Jr.
Apex Dawg
Red ' 00 ST
Yam YZ400 #300