Re: [ST] Re: Gas mileage?

Tom Emberson wrote:
> > Gas mileage? My low gas light comes on at 120 miles.  The gas gauge reads
> > empty at 160 miles.  The previous owner of my bike said that he'd run out of
> > gas (dry) at 180 miles, that means he was getting 32 MPG.  The 1999 Triumph
<snip>

> Damn, something is wrong with your bike. This past summer when I was
> purely slabin I would judge how the tank of gas was going by looking at
> when the needle got fully past the F line. Often with pure 85mph (true,

So it seems like there could be a number of problems here:
1. change your air filter. A dirty air filter will clobber your mileage.
2. run some fuel injector cleaner through your engine for a couple of
  tanks. Dirty injectors hurt fuel economy.
3. Look/smell for fuel leaks. If there's been a recall on this, then its
  definitely a problem to look for.
4. Oxygenated gas. During the summer my Civic gets 40mpg. With winter
  oxygenated gas, I get 33. MTBE is a useless fuel additive that saps
  fuel economy.
5. Change your fuel filter. Can't hurt.

If you check all of these and still have a problem, then maybe THEN its
time to bring it to a dealer.

Rob