Re: [ST] motor oil question: conventional or synthetic?

Gday Dave,

Congrats on the choice of ride, I have the same bike (2001 Sapphire Blue)
and also very impressed.

Regarding oil change intervals:

I understand that dealerships advise 10000 ks etc but prefer to do mine more
frequently.  Not sure if many people are aware of something called "planned
obsolescence" which is basically the engineering term for the expectation of
your motors expiration (to use a twist on words).  Oil change intervals have
increased in cars as well but with the assurance of sales persons explaining
the virtues of new oil management systems and blah blah etc.  The bottom
line is, talk to anyone who has a high mileage motor and ask how often they
did oil changes etc and you will find they have stuck to the old rule of
thumb, Oil and Filter every 5000 ks or 3000 miles in your case.

Regarding synthetic or non syntheic oils:

thumb is to  stick with what has been used after the run-in period.

Used to work on artillery pieces for an enforced hobby, back in those days
we found that stnthetic oils used to leak straight through natural rubber
seals and vice-versa but things may have changed since then.

Safe roads, Chris in OZ.

And yes, the blue is a brilliant colour and attracts very favourable
commenT.