[ST] Woo Hoo! Saw the new Mini Cooper today! (non ST subject)

I got a call this morning from a salesman at BMW of Nashville, which is
going to be the Mini dealer for this part of the US.  He told me to get down
there ASAP, that they were unloading a new Mini Cooper and that though it
was supposed to be a secret that they had one he'd let me check it out.  I
am #12 on the list here for the Mini, am eagerly expecting a Cooper "S"
sometime this fall.

I grabbed the camcorder and rushed down in the rain, just in time to see
them driving it around to park it on the side of the building.  Seems the
few new Mini's around the US are supposed to be kept under wraps until the
official into in March, this one was coming through to show the dealership
what it was all about.

It is GORGEOUS!  Quite a bit bigger than the classic mini but still a tiny
car.  Fit and finish were excellent, plenty of legroom in the front but
better not plan on carrying anyone in the back....  Interior looks straight
out of an Audi Quatro TT, though much of it is plastic and looks like some
of the bits would soon break or get lost.  Standard sound system was
uninspiring but the optional Harmon Kardon system is suppoed to be
phenominal.  The switches on the center of the dash for windows, lights, etc
are retro toggle switches - and VERY nice at that.  The rear hatch opens up
to be HUGE for a car so small, and with the seats folded down it looks like
it could hold quite a few grocery bags.  16" wheels looked great, the car
was light silver with a black roof.

I am now busy trying to decide what color to get and figure out how to pay
for it.   (FOR SALE:  '71 BMW R75/5 and a pre-ban Galil ARM .223 rifle)