[ST] Re: mini cooper

on 1/25/02 11:55 PM, David Earl <dlearl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was a bit disappointed in the lack of headroom.  I'm 6'2" and head was
> rubbing.  To be fair though, there were a hundred people drooling,
> crawling, pawing, panting, etc so I didn't have long to get comfortable
> and perhaps adjust the seat.  Also, this model had a sunroof, which IME
> kills about 2".  Hopfully the seat will adjust vertically, (I think it
> does).  Me head never rubbed on the OLD ONE!

I got to sit in it for a little while, the salesman that got the keys was
really nice but seemed anxious to get me out of it when he saw a manager
watching from inside the showroom.  I am 6' tall and about 245lbs and felt
comfortable in body but cramped in mind.  I drive a Suburban, which I have
in the video behind it for comparison, and it is of course just a wee tad
less spacious inside than the landbarge.  It's also smaller inside than the
classic cooper that I remember from highschool, but that was 15 years and 50
pounds ago so memory might be faulty.  Headroom never even crossed my mind,
which is normally an issue with me, and this mini did not have a sunroon.
My experience with sunroofs is exactly the opposite of yours, I find they
offer more room rather than less (especially when open.)

The seats were leather and had a different pattern than those I've seen in
photo's at miniusa and mini2 websites.  I had the seat all the way back for
legroom, could have moved it up closer if I had to, but I could figure out
how to adjust the back and might have forced it down when trying to check
out the rear seats.

The salesman let me start it up, the sound was less than inspiring, but then
it was just a standard cooper.  The shifter felt wonderful in my hand, of
course I'll have to replace the knob with a skull.  The key itself is
fascinating, at least I've never seen one like it before.  I can't think of
anyway to explain it other than you won't be able to get a blank key at
walmart anytime soon.

As far as the colors I am consider go, the red and white combo that Jack
mentioned is on my list but it seems just a little too obvious for me....
and as of yet I don't know if there is a way to get the roof logo's for
coopers with sunroofs.  I think right now I am inclined to choose either
electric blue or pure silver with rally stripes, though I also like the
BR-Green, yellow, and black.  The hell with it, I like them all.  I
especially like the light green color that is NOT available for the S
version.

Anyway, if anyone had tried to download my quicktime movie of the mini and
it failed try again, it somehow got moved to my trash folder but I put it
back.