Re: [ST] Fairing Replacement/Repaint?

Jamison,

Congratulations and welcome to the confederacy of cretins.  We've all done
it, so don't beat yourself up too much about it. My particular contribution
to the hall of infamy was when I had just replaced the RH panel, having lost
it on an emergency stop on gravel a month earlier.  (Dog plus child launched
themselves out from behind van as I was level with rear fender.  Only doing
15 mph or so, and would have kept the whole thing upright had it not been
been a pile of gravel thrown up from a rut.  Lawyer brain immediately spots
breach of statutory duty on the part of the highway authority to maintain
the Queen's highway, and so get cheque in due course to replace damaged bits
and lubricate wounded pride.)  Back to the plot.  After installing the new
panel, wiping off greasy fingerprints and generally admiring the way the
light drips off the contours in the early evening light (as you do), what do
I do?  Yup, decide to go for a ride, because as everyone one knows clean
Sprints are fast Sprints.  Stupid idea.  There was your narrator, gently
paddling the bike backwards, when lo and behold, right foot hits patch of
damp, and right foot loses adhesion.  Much ungainly flailing about with
right leg in the air, as bike gently cants over to the right. I try
valiantly with the full power of all  my 153 lbs to hold her up, but the
point of no return has, alas, gone, never to be regained, and so once more,
over she goes.  The softest of landings, but nevertheless I'm left with a
beautifully sculpted series of crescent-shaped scars all along the the
contact edge.  DANG! I thought after a nano second of sober reflection, then
DANG! again.  The neighbourhood rapidly empties itself of young children and
dogs as I warm to the theme.  My very nice Chilean neighbour who just busted
his ribs on his VTR comes out grinning  from ear to ear with some muscle to
spare and a cold Dos Equis for anaesthetic.

 Have since recovered the power of adult speeech, but haven't had the heart
to do the touch up thing, and am dreading the quizzical look and raised
eyebrow from my dealer when I next take her in.

That has to be the record for the quickest new panel prang - I hadn't even
fired her up!

Anyway, Jamison, it beats getting nearly shot at.  There's a very weird
story of mine from last year in the archive somewhere just to help give some
perspective!

Kevin Smith (Reservoir Dawg)
99 Sprint ST
London, UK