Re: [ST] I Pod Info

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 08:34:46PM -0500, Robert Head wrote:
> I was curious if anyone on the list has the Apple I Pod and if anyone has
> ever used it on the bike. Can you hear it ok?

I wish I had one.  I imagine it would work great, what with the ability
to carry 5 or 10gigs of music and 20 mins of skip protection.

I use a minidisc player, and have no problems with it.  It has a remote
that extends out through my tankbag and clips on top of it.  The player
itself is safe inside the bag.  I don't believe the ipod has a remote,
so may make it more inconvenient to change songs.  If you put it in the
map pocket of the tankbag, that might work, but I don't know if the LCD
screen would have problems with the heat.  My palmpilot's screen went
completely black on me in El Paso last week.  It was only in there for
maybe 15 mins, but temps were 105F+.  (Also at one morning at Big Bend
National Park, I could actually watch it drawing the screen as temps
were 26F.)

As far as headphones, I have some Koss "The Plug" ones that I got for
$20 at radshack.  I replaced the foam that comes with them with round
foam earplugs with holes melted through them.  Works pretty good.
Definitely won't risk your hearing as much as just headphones, what with
trying to play music loud enough to be heard over windnoise.  Can be
difficult to get the helmet on over them without dislodging them, and
after a few hours gets kinda sore.

Battery life might also be an issue.  10 hours seems like a long time,
until you forget to recharge it one night, or forget the adapter, or
camp or something.  My minidisc player has a little add-on piece that
allows it to use 1 AA battery.  I feed it batteries my camera can't
extract any more juice from, and it runs a few hours on each one.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)