Re: [ST] Triumph Soft Luggage

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 07:53:07PM -0400, by way of Message_Redirector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> From: Agate47@xxxxxxx
> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:19:39 EDT
> Subject: Triumph Soft Luggage
> To: RS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hi,
>
> I am preparing for my first short trip with my Triumph Soft bags for my RS
> and I question the weight limits posted for the bags of 3 kg per bag.  That
> is not very much stuff.  I am going to the Mt. St. Helens Raid July 12-14 in
> Kelso, WA and I want to know how others approach this limit.  I suspect there
> is a considerable safety margin designed into this number, but how much is
> too much.  I was pleased to note that they rode nicely with 5 lbs per bag on
> my test romp Saturday.

Just as with the luggage rack and top box warning (5kg, please, you
could build a treehouse on top of the luggage rack), this is ludicrously
low, and seems to be mostly a CYA (cover yer ass) thing.

I just got the soft luggage and would venture that I had 15-25 pounds
of stuff in each of mine on my trip to/from the western rallye.  No
problems.  Gas mileage might have suffered a little.

Might want to firm up your suspension if you carry a lot of stuff.  I
have mine set kinda hard, as I usually ride with a pillion.

They will also hold on above the Triumph recommended 80mph.  A fellow
ST owner told me a piece of advice he'd learned, to attach the shoulder
straps (an end to each bag) in an X over the seat, as an extra bit of
security, should one come loose.  For some reason, though, my set only
came with one shoulder strap.

Laters,
Brian
- --