Re: [ST] Help! Gas Leak! Ahhh, it burns!!!! - Resolved?

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 05:45:57PM -0500, Chris Warren wrote:
> You are correct (although it's not the red one, but the white plastic
> one on the line that plugs into the tank above where the red one
> goes).  I just called a local dealer (Polaris West - outside of
> Houston).  The guy I talked to said he has seen two of these already.
> He said that the part number has changed which he believes means
> that the part has been changed/replaced/fixed(?) and has ordered a
> new fuel line from which I will take the fitting and replace mine.
> When the fitting comes in a week or two I'll update the board.  BTW,
> since you've identified another potential fuel leak, can you also
> post the name of the company that has the metal fittings for the red
> quick-connect fitting?

So it's the male part of the top connection?  I guess it cracked?  Is
the o-ring still there?

On mine, the top connector leaked, but it was the base.  It weeped where
the female fitting screwed into the brass fuel pump plate.  (I just
uploaded a picture).  But this was a very slow leak, nothing like what
you're describe.

> As for Brian's suggestion about towing, the dealer said that no manufacturer
> pays for towing.  Oh well, I think I'll send an e-mail or letter to Triumph
> and see what they have to say about it.

Wow, that is pretty crappy.  Even if the manufacturer doesn't pay for
it, I'd hope that the dealer would go out of their way to come get a
bike with a potentially hazardous problem, especially if you just bought
this $10k+ bike from them.

Sucks too that you're down while waiting for the part to be ordered,
especially when the guy you talked to has seen 2 other cases of
this--hmm, might want to keep some on hand then?  I will give kudos to
RPM here in Dallas for keeping these kinds of things in stock.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)