[ST] ST stands up under braking

I recently completed an 800 mile loop through Northern California, enjoying
what surely must be some of the most fun, scenic roads in the country for
motorcycle enthusiasts.

However, I discovered my ST has a strong tendency to "stand up" when braking
in a corner.

One solution, of course, is to brake *before* the corners ("Doc, it hurts
when I do this..."). But occasionally a little trail-braking is useful and
standing up in these circumstances is a bit of a nasty habit.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any straightforward solutions? Stronger
front springs? Different tires?

Any insight appreciated,
Colin