[ST] Help on installing soft luggage panniers

I just bought a set of Triumph soft luggage panniers
for my 2000 RS on ebay that are coming without the
panel protectors. The guy let the hardware go to to
the junkyard but he had the luggage. Are there any
problems to expect without the panel protectors or
will the 3M film be good enough to keep my tail
section from being scuffed? Without the panel
protectors will there be any problem with clearance
for the rear wheel or exhaust?
Thanks,
Chris