RE: [ST] Aux Lighting

Those would be mine.

I have a hard time seeing at night so I bought the lights, then had to find
a way to mount them on the bike.  I wanted them up closer to the headlights
(so they could shine out farther without blinding people) so decided to
fashion a bracket to mount behind the mirrors and hang them below the
mirrors.

I started with a piece of flat steel from True Value Hardware 3" wide.  Each
wing is about 10" long.  The piece of steel I bought had enough for three
wings, so the first was for practice.  I put the piece in a vise and used a
torch to heat the steel and my gloved hand to bend the piece, then put the
other end in the vise and bent the other end.  Drop in a bucket of water to
cool and fit to bike.  Heat and rebend to fit.  Once I had the pattern, I
bent the other two pieces for finish.

I used a metal blade in a jig saw to cut the shape in each and a buffing
wheel on the grinder to smooth the steel.  Drill out the holes for the
mirror bolts and a hole in the end of the wing for the light.  Rattle can
primer and paint.

I also had to cut a bit of the fairing behind the mirror mount for the
wiring harness.  The lights hook into the high beam wire and run off a relay
and have an on/off switch that mounts in the cockpit next to the speedo.

I've been pretty happy with them.  They don't flop around and stay steady at
speed.  they can also peel paint off bumpers if you get close enough.  They
extend my sight distance at night by about 5 times and, since they are
mounted fairly high on the bike, tend not to blind oncoming cars on the
freeway.

The lights are Hella FF200 Driving Lamps sold as a kit for $118.90.  I
ordered them from Susquehanna Motorsports, but can be purchased from just
about any 4 wheel place.  They have a very excellent wiring harness
included.

I'll try to find some pictures and post them.

Dan Wallander
'99ST
'74 R90/6