[ST] help! balance shaft mystery

Last week, I recieved these steps below from Dan about how to check the
balance shaft.  Following is my story of me checking the shaft
alignment . . . or trying to.   If anyone knows more or has ever checked
theirs and can tell me what to look for, please read on.

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 09:03:00PM -0600, Dan Wallander wrote:

> >From the Triumph ST service manual:
>
> 1. disconnect Battery 2. Drain engine oil 3. Remove Clutch cover
> 4. Lever out the Balance shaft plug without damaging the cases
> 5. Discard said plug 6. Turn engine over until the T1 mark on the
> Crankshaft rotor aligns with the center of the crankshaft position
> sensor 7. The Markings on the Balance shaft should align with the
> pointers on the outside of the casing.  8. fit a NEW plug 9. reverse
> procedure.
>
> If the markings do not line up, the engine must be removed and the
> cases split in order to remove and reposition the balance shaft.

Okay, sounds easy enough.  So, I called RPM Cycle in Dallas to get a new
balance shaft plug before I start.  I also had them order me a shop
manual, but it won't be in for a week or so.

The parts guy couldn't find a plug on the fiche.  I had assumed it was
under the clutch cover and told him that, but it's actually in front of
the clutch cover, I've since learned.

He went to ask his shop mgr where this plug is, and the shop mgr replied
"There is no plug, you just remove the clutch cover and see if the
balance shaft and camshaft line up.  There should be a mark on the end
of the gear and a mark on the end of the balance shaft."  They wanted
to know where I'd gotten my instructions.  I said, well, someone copied
them for me out of the shop manual.  I'm sure they had a good scoffaw
about me after I hung up.

Anyway, so today I take the clutch cover off.  (NOTE: you don't have to
drain the oil if the bike is on the sidestand.)  I shine a light in there
and rotate the engine by hand a few times, but can't find any marks on
the camshaft gears.  Nor can I see the balance shaft.

That's when I see the plug staring me in the face.  It's got silicone
caulk material all over it.  I guess when Eurosports did the rebuild,
they reused the old plug and it leaked oil, so they did this candy-ass
fix.

I pried the plug out, and I can see the end of the balance shaft.  I
can see the corresponding marks on the outside of the case that it's
supposed to line up with.  I'm thinking, so much for RPM knowing what
they're talking about.

Trouble is, I don't see any kind of mark on balance shaft.  It looks
as flat and smooth as a washer.  No paint, notches, imprintings, or
anything that I can see.  Does anyone know what this mark should be?
I'm guessing it was painted on, and when the engine got rebuilt, the
paint got worn off, or removed somehow?  Or they put a new balance shaft
in that didn't have marks?  But that doesn't make sense.

I'm uploading a picture of it.  I hope I'm just missing something
obvious.  Anyone have any ideas or experience with this or a picture of
what it should look like?

In the meantime, I don't know what else to do other than wait for the
shop manual to arrive and hope it has a picture.

Thanks,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)