Re: [ST] help! balance shaft mystery

Reading through the entire chapter on the balancing shaft inspection
and repair I find the third to last step in reassembly is this:

<Manual>
Make permanent marks on the bolt that accurately align with the two
marks on the outside of the crankcase.
</Manual>

Earlier, the instructions note that bolt can not be reused, so a new
one must be installed, making the above procedure necessaryl.

Seeing that the mechanics resused the plug (a new plug is also
supposed to be installed) and they forgot the above step of marking
the bolt, leads me to believe they never really checked the balance
shaft or followed the manual.

Either way you are probably screwed, and forced into having to go
through the entire disassembly and re-assembly of the balance shaft.

Reading through the manual, the procedure falls into my "don't try
this at home, folks" category of motorcycle repairs. You may of
course feel more confident. But you're going to need a new bolt and
plug, and you're definitely going to need the manual on this one.

If you get the parts and you still need the manual, let me know and
I'll scan the appropriate pages for you.

>Last week, I recieved these steps below from Dan about how to check the
>balance shaft.  Following is my story of me checking the shaft
>alignment . . . or trying to.   If anyone knows more or has ever checked
>theirs and can tell me what to look for, please read on.

- --
Matt Knowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707) 786-4643