Re: [ST] help! balance shaft mystery

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:53:14PM -0500, Brian D wrote:
> He went to ask his shop mgr where this plug is, and the shop mgr replied
> "There is no plug, you just remove the clutch cover and see if the
> balance shaft and camshaft line up.  There should be a mark on the end
> of the gear and a mark on the end of the balance shaft."  They wanted
> to know where I'd gotten my instructions.  I said, well, someone copied
> them for me out of the shop manual.  I'm sure they had a good scoffaw
> about me after I hung up.

<snippage>

> Trouble is, I don't see any kind of mark on balance shaft.  It looks
> as flat and smooth as a washer.  No paint, notches, imprintings, or
> anything that I can see.  Does anyone know what this mark should be?
> I'm guessing it was painted on, and when the engine got rebuilt, the
> paint got worn off, or removed somehow?  Or they put a new balance shaft
> in that didn't have marks?  But that doesn't make sense.

Okay, I just went back out in the garage to investigate some more.  I
peered in and watched the balance shaft gear rotate as I turned the
engine (there's a clearing where you can see maybe 3 or 4 teeth at a
time.  I found one tooth with a line marked in it.  Ahha!

Then, I watched the crankshaft gear.  There are 2 teeth together that
have little circles imprinted on them.  Hrm, maybe this is what the RPM
guy was talking about lining up?

Still, you can't see where the two meet because it's obstructed by the
case.  So, I made a reference mark on the timing gear on the end of the
camshaft and a corresponding one on the end of the balance shaft.  They
seem to rotate 1:1, but they never line up!

I'll upload yet another picture here shortly.

Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly, but I wouldn't doubt they were
this much out of phase, based on the feel of my bike.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)