RE: [ST] help! balance shaft mystery

Brian,

I think you are doing what the Triumph Manual says to do.  I also think Matt
is right in that when your engine was put back together, the tech didn't
make the reference mark on the end of the balance shaft that he should have.
The Triumph manual clearly shows a reference mark on the end of the balance
shaft under the plug that you removed in front of the clutch cover.

If you indeed think that the balance shaft is the problem, I don't see any
option for you other than to split the cases and refit the balance shaft
according to the manual.  I'll second Matt's opinion in that I wouldn't feel
comfortable going that far myself, but your mechanical abilities may be far
greater than mine.

I will also go so far to say that I just copied the text from the manual.
Since I haven't done this job myself, I cannot argue for or against its
accuracy.  Before you start taking your engine out, though, I would strongly
suggest reading the Triumph manual several times before starting.  The
Haynes manual may have some things the Triumph manual doesn't cover.  It may
be a good idea to get that one too.

Dan Wallander

- -
I'll upload yet another picture here shortly.

Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly, but I wouldn't doubt they were
this much out of phase, based on the feel of my bike.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)