Re: [ST] I Pod Info

Robert Head wrote:
> I was curious if anyone on the list has the Apple I Pod and if anyone has
> ever used it on the bike. Can you hear it ok?

I used one to/from the Western Rallye this year, and on my ride from
Maryland to California earlier this week. Both times I plugged the iPod
into my Autocom and used the Autocom's in-helmet speakers to listen to
the music. Turning the iPod to almost full volume let me clearly hear
the music, even with 30 NRR earplugs, at 80 MPH. The fidelity is good
for the mid and treble, but you loose most of the bass in the wind roar.

I initially kept the iPod in the map pocket of my tank bag, but after
the display went black in the desert heat I decided that it was better
to keep it hidden from the direct sun. I missed reading the song artist
and title information (before the screen went black), but since I
couldn't operate the jog dial through the map pocket's plastic, it
wasn't that big of a deal. I just set it to play all songs and shuffle
by song and had almost exactly 10 hours of music every day. (Note:
You'll probably want to lock the controls before you stuff it in your
tank bag, since the vibration of the bike and bumps in the road
occasionally rotate the jog dial or press one of the buttons.)

I find the Autocom speakers to be too big for my helmet/ears, so I'm
going to clip them and use my Etymotic
<http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26&productID=0020100000>
in-ear headphones in the future. I expect the fidelity (and comfort)
will increase. I also bought a car charger for the iPod from Extreme Mac
<http://www.extrememac.com/products/charger.html>, which I'll eventially
wire up to the bike's electrical system (along with the Autocom) so that
I don't have to doddle over two batteries. I'm thinking of something
along the lines of the "electrified tank bag" that's detailed on the web
site so that I can finally use my Valentine One, and have power to spare
for a GPS someday, too.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA