[ST] Shop manual validity?(Re: backlash eliminator)

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 05:48:43PM +0100, Jez wrote:

> There's a similar arrangement on the alternator drive gear which is
> hidden behind the clutch basket.  When you take the clutch off you can
> see more clearly what's going on as you can see more of it.  Basically
> there's 2 gears of the same diameter, one with an extra tooth, and
> the wider/thicker one is attched to the alternator shaft & does the
> driving.  The other thin idler gear is free to rotate on the shaft,
> but is loaded axially to provide friction between the 2 gears, which
> means the tooth on the driving gear is lightly gripped by the 2 driven
> gears, getting rid of backlash vibrations.

Ahh, that's interesting.  I've never heard of such a thing (not that I
would have expected to).

> The teeth on the 2 driven gears always pretty much line up where they engage
> the driving gear. At 180 degrees to where they engage they are 1/2 tooth out
> of registration.

Yeah, the place I can see it is maybe 60-90 degrees out.

Thanks for the info.  So this means the drawing showing the 2 gears on
the balance shaft in the Triumph Shop Manual is wrong?  Is this manual
known to be inconsistent or to have errors?  I know some manuals are
like that, but hadn't heard much about this one.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)