Re: drop the sump, I like it(Re: followup(Re: [ST] help! balance shaft mystery))

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 06:09:40PM -0500, Brian D wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:49:30PM +0100, Jez wrote:
>
> > -----Original Message----- From: Brian D <brd@xxxxxxx>
> > To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Date: 15 July 2002 20:42
> > Subject: followup(Re: [ST] help! balance shaft mystery)
> >

> > >So I'm waiting for him to get ahold of the PO.  It's not a very
> > >reassuring situation, but it was more than I'd hoped for.  The PO
> > >is a pretty nice guy, so I'm hoping he'll say the right things to
> > >help me out.
> > >
> > >Laters, Brian -- '99 ST (black) Dallas, TX

> > Just a thought - if you just dropped the sump (engine in) is it
> > possible to see if the "cams" on the balancer shaft are in roughly
> > the right place relative to TDC? If so could give you a yes/no
> > before a full strip down.
>
> Hrm, possibly.  Looking at the exploded diagram of the cases, it looks
> like there might be openings under there you could see through.  I'm
> going to read the Lubrication section over and might give this a go
> tonight.  Thanks for the idea.

Well, from what I can see, you might be able to see the crank and
balance shaft gear, but it will be from the other side.  Unless they
have alignment marks on both sides of the gears (anybody know? does the
Haynes manual maybe mention this?), it won't help you any.  I'm not sure
if I'm willing to drop the exhaust system and oil pan on that chance.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)