RE: [ST] Luggage for the RS

Stuart,

I have the Triumph soft panniers and a TourMaster tank bag on my RS.  Both
work fine and if you only want one or the other then it depends on what you
want to do with it/them.  The panniers hold twice as much (duh) as the tank
bag, but they have several other disadvantages if you dont need the extra
space.  I use the tank bag 10 times as often as my panniers.  I have never
used either in a hard all day rain.  I was caught just last weekend in a
medium rain for about a half hour.  I put the covers over the bag and the
panniers and neither leaked a drop of water inside.  My $10 Wal-Mart rain
suit that I keep under the seat worked pretty well on me too.

Tank bag advantages:
  -The panniers are harder to put on and remove, not hard, just harder than
the tank bag.
  -It is easier to get stuff in and out of the tank bag.
  -The tank bag has a map holder.
  -The tank bag is cheaper than the panniers.
  -You can use the tank bag to hold various electronics.

Pannier advantages:
  -It is harder to gas up with the tank bag than the panniers, not hard,
just harder.
  -Twice as much cargo capacity.

If I didn't need the space, I would go with the tank bag.

Regards,

John
00 RS

> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:47:17 +1000
> From: "Stuart Anderson" <stuartanderson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] Luggage for the RS
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm considering luggage for my '02 RS and I'm wondering
> whether to go with a
> tank bag or the sports panniers.

snip