From: Cunningham Andrew <Andrew.Cunningham@xxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ST] Luggage for the RS
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:22:23 +0200

Stuart,

I've got the Triumph throw over panniers for my RS and I think they're
excellent.  They come with panel protectors, the fitting kit for which is
very unobtrusive and can be left on the bike.  I've done a bit of touring
with them this summer and they performed flawlessly.  A couple of caveats
are that they are not water proof and when fully expanded they do stick out
quite a bit from the sides of the bike, so you need to be careful when
filtering.  They come with some ridiculous warning about only carrying
something like 2 or 3 kilos max, but I have stuffed them absolutely full and
ridden 6-7 hour days at 90+ mph and the panniers have not moved an
inch...very secure.

I've also got the Triumph tank bag (the bigger one, 18-24 litres I think)
and in combination with the panniers this enables me to carry plenty of kit.
In fact the amount of storage space available generally encourages me to
take far more stuff than I actually really need :-).  Again the tank bag is
not waterproof so I usually pack stuff in plastic carrier bags.  The main
problem with the tank bag is that at higher speeds (80+ mph) it can create
some annoying turbulence around the head.  Furthermore if you have the tank
bag fully expanded it is pretty bloody high and may interfere with your
ability to comfortably reach the handlebars, depending on your height.

I've also thought about hard panniers, but as you say the fitting kits from
Givi and others generally look pretty awful when the panniers aren't fitted
and are too much of a fiddle to keep fitting and removing.  I reckon the
best combination for the RS would be the Triumph top box, throw over
panniers and just a few small items in the tank bag, so that it sits nice
and low.  With that in mind I've just bought the Triumph rear rack and will
probably invest in a top box in the next couple of months.

Andy

End of st-digest V2002 #403