Re: [ST] Motorycle salvage yards??

"Matt Knowles" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been hit in the eye a couple of times by debri working on old
> houses, and after visiting a doctor to have a small piece of metal
> removed from my eye, I now make a habit of wearing eye protection,
> just like Norm Abrams always warns you. I may look like a geek, but
> at least I can be assured my enjoyment of life and my lively hood are
> better protected. I can't think of a single disability that would
> hurt me more than losing my sight.

Whenever I'm doing anything that might put me at even a slight risk I wear
appropriate protective gear.  However this accident happened while walking
through to the hallway outside my children's bedroom at 11PM.  No
woodworking, nothing really unusual.  I walked into something.  My own
stupidity.

As my brother suggested, I should wear my motorcycle helmet 24x7, even in
the shower.  That is about the only thing that would have protected me this
time.  :-(

Over the months when I wasn't riding I was doing a lot more woodworking.
Except for the lack of a guard on my tablesaw (I'm always cutting dados and
I'm very, very concious of where my hands are at all times, plus use
pushsticks) I take appropriate precautions: eye protection, dust protection
and hearing protection.  I've also been doing some woodturning and wear a
full-face mask for that.

The main problem I'm battling right now (that I know of) is serious
inflamation of the eye and surrounding tissues.  That puts pressure on
senstive things like sinues and it HURTS!  Time for more cortisone drops.
Later.

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
(maybe I should be called "Unlucky Dawg")