[ST] "You meet the nicest people..."

"...on a Triumph. If I may say so myself."

This past saturday I took the Blue Devil in for it's 6K service. It just
happened to be Freehold Triumph's sport bike day. While waiting, I was
able to demo a couple of bikes. First was the Triumph TT600. First
impression: this thing is a slug. I imagine that after some miles I
would find where the engine is at its happiest; I suspect that it is up
around 8K. Next was the Ducati 748. YEOW, that seat is hard as a rock. A
kleenex on the seat would be a big improvement. But I could see myself
getting plenty-o-tickets on that bike! But, boy, does that seat ever
suck or what? Michael, the service manager says that I wouldn't want one
because the don't come in "Babe magnet blue." My reply, "Nope, just cop
magnet yellow."

Anyway, after getting a clean bill of health I decide to go wander the
roads of NJ. (Note: the last time I did this after a service I was
forced to remove the bumper of a left turning Volvo.) Three hours later
I am poking along some county road. Speed limit 35. I thought I was
going slow. A cop coming from the other direction waves me down and
points to the shoulder. I pull off onto the grass. He turns around and
pulls up behind me.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"Not really."

"You were doing 50."

"Oh my god! Was I really going that fast? I thought I was doing about
30. I am so sorry."

He tells me that he realizes that sometimes you don't realize "how fast
you're going on those." I apologize again. He asks for my papers. I
request permission to dismount. "Sure. Go ahead." He asks me who makes
Triumph. As I pleasantly smile and resist the urge to call him a moron,
I explain and give him a very brief history since the closing of the
Meriden plant. He says that it is good to see me wearing leathers. As he
heads back to the car to run my license I ask for permission to remove
my helmet. "Sure. Go ahead."

He comes back with my papers and a ticket. Ah crap. And I thought that I
was pleasant. He explains that 15 over is a $98 fine plus 2 or 3 points.
  "But because you are a gentleman and have a clean driving record I'm
only writing you up for 'Failure to obey a traffic sign.'" In NJ this a
a no point violation and only a $44 fine. I would have been happier with
an equipment violation but I guess I can't complain. Had I not been a
gentleman on a Triumph I probably would have been given the speeding ticket.

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

Never underestimate the power of just shutting the hell up and grinning
knowingly.
                            --Mark Morford