[ST] RE: st-digest V2002 #413

Anthony, I checked mine with my GPS and found it to be 10KPH over as
well...12 KPH over when faster than 160.  I also live in Oz and when I
complained to the dealer he told me the same thing.  It annoys me is
that my bike shows 35,000Km on the speedo but possibly only has 31,500
or so.  Probably sounds stupid but it still annoys me.

I heard once that manufacturers do this with cars so that 'fleets' turn
their vehicles over quicker.  Just another conspiracy theory..

Tux
Oz

On the old analog speedos, the speed reading and the odometer were
independent. The odometer was a straight mechanical geared drive and not
adjustable short of changing the gearing. The speedo, on the other hand was
driven by a spinning rotor that pulled a magnet on the needle shaft. This
was adjustable by varying the gap between the rotor and shaft. I don't know
how the electronic ones work, but I assume they have the same type of
adjustability. My old analog equipped T3 Speed Triple speedo was just as
optimistic as the RS's, but the odos were quite accurate on both.
Bare