Re: [ST] Cheaper tires are fine, but what about the install?

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 Scott.Fehr@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Seems to me you can get good deals online for tires but most of
> the dealers in my neck of the woods want over $100 to put them
> on for you. By my calculations the online tire price + local
> dealer mounting = almost the same as buying and mounting at the
> dealer. Obviously the dealers want the tire purchase so they're
> jacking the labor cost but unless you're willing to put the
> tires on yourself (I'm not) then the online option is all that

I guess, if a dealer is going to readily charge you more to
install a mail order tire, and tell you that. Where are they
charging more then they should and not telling you.

I can see discounting mounting, for a tire bought at the
dealership, but the otherway might acutally be illegal??

> attractive. How would you all feel about having a non-Triumph
> dealer put your tires on for you?

No problem at all. If you find a good mechanic, who does good
work, why not use him/her!

Personally I use Mike's Cycle in McKinney to mount and balance
my tires. He takes care of the rim as good if not better than
any Triumph dealer.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 14 months old, 21,400 miles)
 '00 Yamaha WR400F
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500