[ST] Suspension adjustment was poor fuel consumption ? seat mods

Thanks for the advice guys,
    I'm not all that familiar with the suspension setup, this is my second
bike with this amount of setup options and the other bike was perfect from
the start.The curious "wiggle" from the rear end is a lot like a mild
tankslapper....only from the rear, the first thing i did was check wheel
alignment and that was ok, i also checked tyre pressures as i once had an
old Norton which behaved the same and it had a leaky rear tyre valve.
Anyway, I've tried adjusting both the preload and the damping up close to
max and now get a nasty kick in the pants when i hit bumps, the handling
feels better but i'm getting distracted by a) the kick in the pants and b)
pillion bashing me on the back! I'm thinking of leaving the preload as is
and backing off the damping until it gets comfy again, does this make sense?
I'm assuming that the spring preload adjusts the ride height? If so then the
amount of damping can be adjusted around this. As i say i'm a bit of a
novice so if anyone wants to educate me on this don't hesitate!!
 I've noticed a fair few complaints about the seat from fellow listers and
in the archives, but it seems everyone wants to add foam at the front of the
seat. I'd like to remove some of that foam as after about 1/2 an hour i go
numb where i'd rather not be.....! Has anyone else done this and if so how
effective was it? How difficult is it to do? I'd take the seat to an
upholsterer but the nearest is about 2 hours away!
TIA
Bill Wilkin
'99 ST   "Mary"
'53 DomiRacer  "Ruby"