Re: [ST] Radar Blocker???

John,
I've seen this before and I'm considering getting one, however I'm not sure
if it's all they say it is.  Here's why, and I'll try to make it in layman's
terms.

Police RADAR determines a vehicle speed by the Doppler effect.  It uses
electromagnetic radiation (i.e. X, K, Ka band) or microwaves, and relies on
the wavelength shift as the initial (known wavelength) is reflected from the
target.  The reflected signal shifts in wavelength vary with the speed.  I
think, but don't quote me on it, that the faster you go the shorter the
reflected wavelength gets.  Then, by working mathematical magic with the
known wavelength and the reflected wavelength they calculate your speed.

Now this Phantom II operates by taking the radar wavelength, shot at it, and
adds an FM chirp component to the reflected wavelength to confuse the radar
gun detector.  This hiccup in the reflected component will change the
calculation.  Add the right hiccup (i.e. frequency) and you can make the
radar gun display 0 mph or 55 mph, or whatever you want.

Now not knowing exactly what the insides of a radar gun are, common sense
would tell me that there's got to be some sort of filtration on the
receiving end to eliminate noise so the gun can pick the reflected
wavelength correctly.  Whether or not this FM chirp the Phantom II mixes in
is filtered by the radar gun?, I don't know.  If it's not today, you can bet
next generation radar guns will.

A good test would be if someone has a cop buddy that will let them speed by
with the Phantom II and see what the radar gun does.

- -Rich
'00 RS