Re: [ST] Speaking of Heated Grips...

- --- Bil Swartz <bil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm thinking of installing Kimpex grip heaters under
> my grips, has anyone
> done this that can offer some tips?  Especially with
> attaching them so
> they stay in place firmly and on insulating the left
> bar, perhaps with
> electical tape, heat shrink tubing, or rubberized
> paint/DAP?

I installed the Kimpex heaters on my previous bike
and they worked great. They produced at least as much
heat as the Triumphs (which seem warm enough for me).
The adhesive elements install very easily and stayed
in place faultlessly. Best of all they're _cheap_
(~$25)! If you're replacing Triumph grips, you should
be able to reuse the Triumph switch, which is much
better looking than the cheesy one that comes with
the Kempex kit.

I insulated the left grip with some electrical tape.
It's not perfect insulation, but better than nothing.
With both the Kempex and Triumph grips, there's
noticable difference in temp when the grips are
heating up, but once you're on the road and the
grips are hot, you shouldn't notice a real difference.

Personally, I'm happy enough with my Triumph grips,
but the Kimpex are a simple, cheap alternative.
I got mine from the Dennis Kirk snowmobile site.

One more tip, I used some heat shrink tubing on the
two wires that stick out from the grip on the
throttle side, just to have it look cleaner. You may
even be able to route them through the channel in the
bar, but I'd be nervous about having them catch or
abrade in there.

- --Kurt
  01 ST SB

BTW, I also recommended the Kimpex to a CBR-riding
buddy who tried my bike and was very pleasantly
dismayed to find that his hands were warm. He's also
very happy with them.