[ST] Chain Tension

OK Dawgs,
 Due to the recent posts regarding replacement chains/sprockets, it caused
me to recheck my chain adjustment. (Not a bad thing.) Anyhow, much to my
consternation, I found that my chain is grinding down the trailing end of
the plastic chain guide/protector which is located on the top of the SS
swingarm on my '01 ST.

I check/adjust my chain and keep it within spec's, which is about 1.5"
freeplay, if memory serves. I lube it regularly, clean it with kerosene
occasionally, and only have 3000 miles on it. Only change I've made is to
replace the countershaft sprocket with a 17t (Triumph brand) vs. the stock
19t. Rear sprocket is original.

I check/adjust the chain with the bike on the centerstand. Is this the
correct procedure? Or should I be checking it while it's weight is on it's
wheels?  Does it make any difference?

Any tips and guiding words of wisdom and/or past experience will be most
appreciated.

Thanks to any and all who might help,
Bill