loose front end?

Can anyone out there comment on how much play is normal for the front =
wheel bearing/front end? I have some play up front and it feels like the =
wheel bearing, not the headset. And it looks like the wheel bearing is =
not adjustable? I've  checked for loose headset bearings by having =
someone sit on the passenger seat while on the center stand, and also by =
lifting the forks while on the center stand. Either way I can't detect =
any slop in the headset adjustment,  but when I put the forks down, =
there's a slight clunk.

- -Rob Keeble
'01 ST/BRG