Re: [ST] Track Day on the ST!

Scott.Fehr@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have the opportunity (aka green light from wife) to participate in a track
> day coming up soon.  Anybody ever take their ST into one of these?

(not yet...  but soon)

> Any advice on prep?

Is this your first track day?

prep --

new tires.  cheapest insurance.  it's not just the miles on the tires,
it's the heat cycles.  talk with other people at the track about what
pressure your should run (typically lower than you would run on the street).

know about your suspension.  Set the preload (the most important
suspension variable) to about 32-34%% static sag (don't have the
measurements handy)

make sure all bolts which have fluid behind them are torqued properly.
Check them after the first couple sessions.

Fresh oil is nice to your motor.

If you have the time, drain the coolant and run distilled water with
redline water wetter.  glycol is a PITA to clean of the track surface
(in the unfortunate event of a radiator failure / crash).  I won't take
a bike with the evil green goop out on the track.  a few drops of the
stuff is all it takes to grease up a corner.

take off mirrors.  10 minutes of labor saves $$$$ in the event of a
small mishap.

Go out and have fun.  everybody wins practice; it's not a race.  If you
don't know the track, ask someone to "tow you around" for a couple of
laps during the first two sessions.  Avoid inside passes until you're
comfortable with the track.

The track is the best place to learn about how much you and your bike
can do.  Take that knowledge to the street, and you are a safer rider.

- -chuck
02 ST