Re: [ST] 12k Tune Cost & Dealer Billing Practices

James Wright wrote:
> Ok, so I got the 12k tune on my 2000 ST today at SoCal Triumph (in Brea,
> CA), and it was $600, plus another $100 to replace the air filter and
> rear brake pads [...]
> First, is that a typical price, or higher than normal for that tune?

I payed $775 for my 24K service (which covers the same things as the 12K
service), but that price included the optional coolant and brake fluid
flush and fills, too. It sounds like your cost might be pretty normal
for California.

> Secondly, the shop estimated the price of the tune on the basis of 7.5
> hours of labor, and charged me for that, even though the bike was only
> even at the shop location for less than 7 hours

Every dealership, both car and motorcycle, that I've ever seen goes by
"the book" for setting service costs. "The book" is supplied by the
manufacturer, and it provides what the manufacturer considers reasonable
estimates on the amount of time it should take to accomplish a repair or
service.

Going "by the book" is a double-edged sword. It means that the consumer
gets a standardized rate for service, even if it takes the mechanic
longer than the estimate. (A job can go long if, for example, a head
snaps off a bolt and the mechanic has to extract it.) A fairly competent
mechanic on well-cared-for vehicles can usually beat the time estimate,
however. On the whole, it probably favors the shop a little on regular
service and favors the consumer a little when dealing with unexpected
repairs.

If you don't like "by the book" service, try an independent mechanic
who's not tied to a manufacturer/dealership. They're more likely to
charge you for the actual time they spend on a job.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA

End of st-digest V2002 #338