Re: [ST] Tach dead

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 11:26:15AM -0400, Bil Swartz wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, John Petrey, Jr. wrote:
>
> > I washed my ST this wknd with fairing lowers & mid off for the first time.
> > This morning on the way to work tach was reading erratically, jumping
> > constantly 200-300 rpm around 2 grand while it was really spinning at
> > around 4500. Then it just sank to the peg.
>
> Did you loose the speedo/odo too?  But the lights are on?
> In my case it turned out that the magnet in the speedo drive had siezed
> up, too many power washings by previous owner and never re-lubbed.  If
> this is what you suspect, drop the front wheel off, pry the magnet out
> with a small flatblade if it's stuck, and clean all that up and lube with
> some white lithium grease.

I believe the speedo and the tach get their signals from 2 different
places/lines.  The speedo is a mechanical drive cable from the front
wheel, whereas the tach usually has a cable that runs down into the
front of the head and I think receives an electrical pulse from a sensor
driven by one of the cams.

At least, that's how it was on my previous (1980's) bikes.  Maybe the
Sprint, with all its current technology, gets that signal from the
computer?

Anyway, John, sounds like you got some electrical connection wet.  I'd
guess it will dry out in a day or two.  If not, I'd try and trace the
line from the tach and see where it enters the engine.  I don't recall
seeing any wiring inside the frame when I had my tank off the other
week, but there is a big wiring harness under there by the back of the
airbox.

Laters,
Brian
- --