[ST] Re: 12k Tune & Billing Practices

Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>

>Going "by the book" is a double-edged sword. It means that the consumer
>gets a standardized rate for service, even if it takes the mechanic
>longer than the estimate. (A job can go long if, for example, a head
>snaps off a bolt and the mechanic has to extract it.) A fairly competent
>mechanic on well-cared-for vehicles can usually beat the time estimate,
>however. On the whole, it probably favors the shop a little on regular
>service and favors the consumer a little when dealing with unexpected
>repairs.

Thanks everyone, apparently my costs are pretty normal by people's estimates.

I understand the obvious concept of using a standard book from the manufacturer to give the estimate rate, and/or even for a standardized service price if they tell you that's what it is rather than characterizing it as an estimate, which in my mind (apparently unlike at least some other people's) implies that the actual cost can vary up or down.  In some of the previous services I've gotten for various cars and bikes, including standard maintenance services, aftermarket parts installation, and accident repairs, I've paid exactly the estimated rate, and in others, it's varied either up or down from the estimate.  I've never really been surprised by the amount though, so I didn't really think about it - any overage just wasn't enough to get my attention.

In this case, the book rate apparently being used is disproportionately long, in my opinion to a point bordering deceptiveness (again, IMHO, YMMV).  If the mechanic in my case finished the job in 5 hours, which seems a reasonable approximation (per previous note), then the book rate being used here would be 50% higher than the actual labor expended.  I've never had a labor estimate of this many hours for a regular service on any of my cars or bikes, only for accident repairs, and in those cases, the actual amount charged was neither surprising nor as much as the original estimate on the couple of occasions I can remember.  I guess I'm just a little disgruntled about the amount of hours charged here being significantly, unexpectedly high, and in my experience, the broken bolt head situation would result in them calling me to tell me it's going to be more than the estimate, and charging me for the overrun.  Result?  They seem to be consistently, systematically, overbilling.  I guess it's SOP at many of dealers though.  Oh well, enough bitching and moaning for one week... thanks for listening/feedback...

 -- Jim