Re: [ST] Chain tension

> I don't know why such a big difference either, but I
> have read it's better
> to be a little loose than too tight, as tight
> introduces more wear?

I've always heard the same thing, Bil.  I think it's
because of the travel of the swing arm and suspension.
 As the shock compresses, it 'tightens' up the bottom
of the chain.

Here's the way it was explained to me, and it makes
sense to me even though I dont know if it's correct:

If the chain is too tight it tries to take slack out
of the 'bottom' part of the chain when the suspension
compresses and there's no slack to give.  This puts
forces on the chain and sprockets in ways they werent
designed to take.

It could be that the VFR suspension simply doesnt have
the same amount of travel that our ST's do, but I've
never ridden a VFR, so I dont know.

Honda has a wonderful reputation for engineering
tolerances and such , at least in their cars (they
used to weight match the pistons in their cars to
equlize forces - do they still do that?), so I'd
imagine the specs in the manual for the VFR to be safe
for the VFR.