Re: [ST] Chain tension

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Charlie McCullough" <charliem90@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: [ST] Chain tension

> > How tight do y'all keep your chain?
>
> 35-40mm (1.4-1.8")

That's a bit on the loose side, but better than too tight. It's really about
1-3/8" to 1-9/16". Or real close to 1-1/2", give or take an 1/8". I filed a
mark on my ratchet handle to use as a gauge.

> >And the "I'm not a mechanic" give-away question: how long does it
typically
> take to adjust the chain?
>

> 5 min (assumes I take a couple of coffee/cig breaks while doing it).

It should take about that long start to finish, except I can never seem to
find the eccentric. The spanner either jams between the swingarm and the
adjuster, or it misses on the other side. And just as I'm about to give up
out of frustration, it snags right and turns too far when I tug on it
experimentally. I now clean the chain before hand so I don't grease up my
sleeves in my futzing around, and then lube it afterwards. The timing is
just right for the kerosene to have a chance to evaporate.

It's important to tighten the clamp bolt to spec. I had the eccentric slip
while under way such that the chain became fully tight. Beyond possibly
damaging the output shaft and sprockets, it binds up the rear suspension,
and makes for a very dangerous conditon. I keep a 10" long section of
electrical conduit in the bag to use as a breaker bar/extension handle for
the ratchet. Experiment a bit to teach yourself what 55 N-m feels like.