[ST] Exhausts and tunes

Prompted by Larry's bike woes...there is a tune for the stock exhaust and a
tune for the sports pipe.  Does anyone know what happens if you run the bike
with the wrong tune for the pipe?  My guess is:

Sports pipe with standard tune -> not enough back pressure, runs too lean,
trouble starting & may overheat

Standard pipe with sports tune -> too much back pressure, too rich,
backfires and poor running

I recall someone saying that one of the combinations of wrong tune & pipe
would be OK to run for a while, but the other would probably damage the
pipe.  I vaguely remember that too-lean engines tend to overheat, but I
can't remember why.  Anyone care to explain this better?

This interests me as I have the sports pipe & tune, but for the UK MOT road
test I need to fit the standard pipe to be roadworthy.  I'd rather avoid
changing the tune and setting CO level twice, so I'd like to know if I can
run standard pipe & sports tune for a hundred miles or so to the MOT test
centre without problems.

Neil