Re: [ST] Carbon Fibre Exhaust

Bad luck, Linda, hope you're OK.  I acquired a carbon can in similar
circumstances.  This is what you get:  the sound goes gvroom, instead of
vzzzoomm (according to my son, and I think I have the spelling right), i.e.,
sounds more like a flight of Spitfires than a sewing machine, wakes up cage
wardens from their in car distraction systems without drawing unnecessary
attention from Mr Plod and alienating the environment lobby, makes tunnels
more entertaining, turns heads, attracts appreciative looks from old
aristocratic geezers in Aston Martins and Jags ( perhaps not necessarily a
plus in New England, but counts for something over here on the East Bank)
and gives a lot more mid-range response that in the wrong hands risks
encouraging a more hedonistic riding style. But no danger of that because we
are nothing if not responsible riders, are we not? Downside is increased
fuel consumption, in order of 5 to 10 %, but that may be partly to do with
the way it makes you ride it differently.

Also, they are not approved for road use. In UK, this means that when we do
our annual statutory check-up (MOT test), you have to swap back to the old
silencer to meet the noise level test.  Most Triumph dealers here are also
licensed to do MOTs, so its a familiar ritual, and as soon as the test is
done, they'll happily put the carbon back on.

You might also need to check whether your insurance still covers you.  In
UK, if you don't tell the insurer, the cover is void. No idea what the
position is in CT, but as lawyer I'm now hard wired to think about that kind
of stuff.

Good luck.

Kevin Smith (Reservoir Dawg)
London