[no subject]

Just north of Telluride, we took 62 east to 550, and back into Montrose.  The
total mileage was somewhere around 300.  I left Montrose around 9:00 and got
back around 4:30.  I had dry roads all day with a few clouds around Telluride,
but I think some people (Mr. Friday?) hit some rain around Cortez.

Saturday we went east from Montrose to highway 149, then south to Creede.
Highway 149 was fantastic.  50+ MPH sweepers on the north end and tighter turns
along the Lake Fork river going into Lake City.  Then, slower and faster
switchbacks above Lake City going over 11,361 foot Slumgullion Pass, and
shortly afterward, over 10,901 foot Spring Creek Pass.  All that, and hardly
any traffic.

After Spring Creek Pass, the road descended into a large valley, bringing us
into Creede.  We stopped for gas, having come 150 miles from Montrose.  Further
south on 149 from Creede is South Fork, where Colorado's newest fire had
erupted on Wednesday.  149 north of South Fork had been closed, but was
reported to be open by Saturday.  Figuring that the South Fork area would be
pretty busy, and maybe even closed again, we turned around in Creede and headed
back the way we had come.  It was just as fun going the other direction.

I got home today and counted 1433 total miles.  It doesn't seem like much,
considering Scott and Beth Friday came 1100 miles (is that the right number?)
just to get to Montrose.  Others from Texas, California, Oklahoma, and Missouri
probably came similar distances.  After adding up the fuel stops, I figure I
averaged 51 mpg on this trip.

I brought my camera, figuring I'd stop and take lots of pictures.  But, the
riding was too much fun, so I only took a few pictures.  You can see them at
http://www.pbase.com/dan_wolf/2002_rallye, including a map showing the two
routes.

Dan Wolf
"Dawg House"