Re: [ST] Static Sag [was:Racetech, Ohlins, and L.A. Freeways]

Erik Miner wrote:
> With all due respect.. Pogoing is caused by lack of rebound damping.

This is true Erik....  When the primary component sag/preload of the
suspension are setup correctly.  That was the point I tried to make.

You can induce a "pogo" if your rear preload is too soft, and the front
preload is dead on.  starting off by fiddling with rebound damping might
make things feel better (for a bit), until something awful happens, like
you pack the coils, then have no suspension.  hence my original
suggestion.  start with the primary component of the suspension...

> ( on
> the ST it's adjusted at the bottom of the shock by a small inset screw
> about 1 to 1.5 turns out, from full in, is about right) Also sag
> settings are not truly subjective, yes too much spring preload will make
> the bike too stiff , keep in mind that ST's and RS's as delivered are
> setup with a 13.5 appx kg spring rear and a .75 kg in the front  that's
> about correct for a 180 lb rider.

Damn, I need to start drinking more pints and eating more fish and
chips.  I am way off triumph's recommended rider weight...  heh heh

 > The accepted amount of race sag, or
> loaded sag that's with a rider aboard is 1/4 to 1/3 of available travel

33% static sag is a fairly sporty setup.  25% is a bit cushy.  I usually
opt for 28-30% sport / street riding and 33-38% track.

> the ST has 120mm of rear travel and 127mm of front travel. 35mm of race
> sag or about 1.5 inches is a very good starting point.. And FWIW I
> wouldn't go anymore than 1/3 ...  35mm is about perfect for the street.

If you need more than 33% on the street, you are probably pushing things
way too hard -- or you just like a harsh suspension setup -- when your
bones get older they will tell you "hey, easy up on the banzai
suspension settings, eh?"

- --chuck
02 ST