Re: [ST] Air box mod??????

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Bill and Julie Wilkin wrote:

> what difference it made but i chickened out. I did notice that it draws air
> from behind the top of the radiator, i wonder if i made a duct up to direct
> cold air into the intake, would it make a difference?

Yeah, Manuel and I talked about that after doing the throttle body sync
on his bike.  It would be interesting to see if someone could make a
tube to draw air from either under the front fairing or from inside the
front fairing. That is in front of the radiator, where the air is
cooler.

Of course, we do not know the dynamics, it could be very well that at
speed the bike gets cool air, but then again, my gut feeling is ram air
would be cool.  (pun intended!)

BTW, before we get too crazy we should look back at some ram air
problems, the older Ninjas with the single RAM scoup in the front used
to suffer from pulsing at speed when there was a decent cross wind. From
what I understand the modern day Ninjas with the single scoup do not
suffer from this problem. As well, I do not know if the FI on the triumph
would compensate for a higher air box pressure?? Anyone know?

Anyway, to all those people who are playing with accessories for
the ST, rerouting the air would be a welcome accessory. Fresh cool air
could add a few ponies to the bike, and probably make it run cleaner,
and more effeciently as well. (yeah, I know, they are all related to each
other)

t.

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 14 months old, 21,400 miles)
 '00 Yamaha WR400F
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500