Re: [ST] Air box mod??????

G'day again,
    The airbox mods i did to the YZF1000 got fairly involved. Firstly i just
removed the snorkel similar to the Triumphs one and that had a minor
smoothing effect but no real increases in power, i then raised the fuel tank
12mm and got more bottom end grunt, i then made up a duct leading to the
airbox over the radiator and cut a hole in the base of the airbox for it to
feed into, a sort of semi forced induction which worked well after a lot of
dyno work. Good power from about 5000rpm up which is obviously when the air
pressure really got working, i then made up a new airbox top which increased
the volume of the airbox which resulted in a smoother power delivery and
more grunt down low. After much dyno work and degreeing the cam the bike
went from 124hp to around 142hp at the back wheel and the throttle response
was perfect.
I think if you were to make the induction direct ie a duct connected
directly to the airbox then you could expect the pulsing and tuning problems
as Tom suggested, but if a duct is made up that goes over the radiator and
forward to have the opening where the horn is now, removing the 2 snorkels
and opening up those holes so that air is directed towards them then maybe
an improvement can be made (plus removing that steel plate thing). I'm
planning on taking the ST to the dealer in early August for a complete going
over so i may do some sort of mod before hand so they can tune the bike to
suit, Toms got a good point though, will the computer compensate for the air
flow changes? This is my first EFI bike so i'm still learning. I may just
take out the whole airbox and fabricate a replacement in fibreglass, that
way if it's no good i hav'nt wrecked the original.
Certainly food for though eh?
Bill Wilkin
'99 ST   "Mary"
'53 DomiRacer  "Ruby"