[ST] Sprint SS heat

In a message dated 6/27/02 9:58:39 AM, owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I am new to ST ownership, and this list, so please forgive me if this
subject
has been beaten to death. MY ST IS A FURNACE! The temp guage says all is
well, but my leg is roasting. This will be great in the winter, but in the
present day 100 degree weather... Is this normal? Any easy way to vent the
bodywork without resorting to a dremel tool?

Steve

Taking off the belly pan  ('99 Sprint ST) is the most helpful thing I tried.
However to save myself the trouble of taking it off each spring, and the
somewhat untidy appearance of the bike with the belly pan off, I had the
entire front of the chin fairing (which is part of the main side fairing, not
part of the belly pan) cut out. This helps the heat problem somewhat, and
does not spoil the appearance. I also had a slot about 12" lomg by 2" tall
along the right side of the belly pan cut out where it burns, beacause of the
proximity to the exhaust pipe. Can't say if this helps the heat problem, but
since it was half melted anyhow, it looks better cut out. Dave Collins, San
Diego