[ST] Sliders and why we use them

Hello all:
	A few comments about "sliders".
	Sliders keep the side of the bike from grinding on the road if the bike goes down. Sliders are not meant to keep the entire side of a bike from touching the ground. They are intended to protect the most expensive parts from severe damage. Ultimately they protect a lot more than bodywork. While they help to keep expensive bodywork/fairings from being chewed up, they maintain some space between the road and your leg/body if your bike goes down in a "low side" fall and you happen to be under the bike.
	Sliders help to transfer the shock of a crash to the strongest parts of the bike, hopefully keeping the bike and bodywork from being twisted up.
	Sliders are designed to let the bike literally "slide" so it can stop gradually.
	Keep in mind that since we pay for insurance, the claims made by riders has a profound effect on the premiums we pay. In effect, the insurance company's money is OUR money.
	Sliders are not the perfect answer to crash protection. They simply lessen the potential of damage if a bike goes over on its side.
	I know about sliders. They work. I was involved in an accident travelling at 65 mph on a major highway four years ago. Some-one lost their muffler(silencer). It hit my front tyre and knocked me down. It was good to have some space between the road and my body. My bike and I slid over a quarter mile! I got up and walked away with some broken ribs and muscle damage. The bike died. I lived. The sliders helped.
'Nuff said,
Howard Stephen Serlick
'00 Blue ST
Philadelphia