[ST] Sliders, part deux, my story

David and All:
	Anything that keeps the bike from pinching your leg between it and the highway works for me. When you fall down at speed you have virtually no control of where you are going to go. Contrary to an earlier posting, you cannot steer yourself. Sometimes you get lucky and don't hit another vehicle, guardrail or bridge abutment, sometimes you do. It helps to go down on a straight stretch of highway. It truly helps to be very lucky!
	I carry plenty of insurance and comprehensive coverage. I'm not that worried about the bike. You can always buy a new "thing" or have it repaired. It's another issue to get/replace a leg, ankle, or foot because it was caught between the bike and the road.
	In my accident the sliders allowed the bike to keep on moving. I hit the ground with the bike on top of me. The "drag" of my riding gear on the road surface slowed me and, thus, separated me from the bike. The sliders kept the bike from pinning me under it. I was unconcious after hitting the road. I could not react. One has no choice about whether one is going to slide or stay with the bike. I was moving at approx 65 mph at the time of the accident.  It's all about physics- co-efficients of friction, moments, kinematics, inertia, etc.
All the best,

Hopward Stephen Serlick
'00 Blue ST
Philadelphia