Re: [ST] A Trophy not a Sprint ST

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, STeve Duncan wrote:

> >From: "Mike Benzon" <fast87@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >I believe there are two distinct classes of
> >Sport Tourers and the Sprint ST and Trophy clearly define that.
> >Mike
>
> Give that man ceeegaar!!  Absoufreakinlutey, Mike.  While a very interesting
> ride (luv that HP!)  the Yammy looks to long and top-heavy, with too upright
> a riding position for my tastes.  I sold a Trophy to but my ST, why would I
> go backwards?  But my riding buddy with HIS Trophy is drooling over the
> Yammster.  Triumph better get on the stick, all the Trophy boys are looking
> for an "upgrade".  If Triumph doesn't provide one soon they may jump ship.

Well, I could not resist, I am going to through my $0.02 in.

I don't think you can limit the ST market to a mere 2 catigories. The ST
market place now extents from the likes of the ZX9r to that of the
goldwing. I figure anything that will accomodate reasonable luggage, has
a full fairing and can be ridden 600+ miles a day comfortably.

I think the big stink about the FJR in the ST camp is simple, power,
suspension and brakes. I may be just speaking for myself, but if the FJR
can have a very good sport suspension why can't the ST get it.

If I where king, and obviously not, the Daytona engine would be a lot
more faithfully represented in the ST's frame, as well as its suspension
and brakes. Put out a 2003 ST (BRG of course) with the suspension of the
daytona, engine from the same along with the binders along for the ride,
keep the SSSA and maybe redo the rear subframe and I will be one of the
first at the door.

Of course if I was also king, I would have to make the simple decision,
race the daytona, or make it a premium bike. I don't think it can
survive in its current wanta'be UJM state. Don't get me wrong, I like
the bike, it's just not unique enough to compete against the 954 and 9r.
It is probably more comfortable than the R1 and GSX1000r, so it might
have an edge there. But then again, those are 2 of the fastest
production vehicles ever devised.

So what would I do with the Daytona, smooth out the body work (duh),
SSSA of course, factory under seat exhaust, keep the tripple.

I make this suggesting for the simple fact that I am guessing that the
reason why the ST gets a tuned down 955i is so that it does not compete
against the Daytona, give the Daytona an underseat exhaust and more
distinctive looks and you then make both camps happy, YMMV of course.

As far as the Trophy, you could probably still keep 2 versions, 955i
version and maybe a 4 banger. Ditch the chain, and go permiter frame.

BTW, justification for the Goldwing as a ST, simple it has a better
frame and suspension than my old ZX6e, which in its origional form kept
Kawasaki in racing trophies. Its performance is clearly limited by its
body work.  Do I want to see Triumph produce a Uber Trophy, no, of
course I don't care if they produce the Bonnie or a Uber Cruiser, EXCEPT
for the fact, that anything that keeps Triumph making money and a going
concern can only help while I choose to ride a modern day Triumph bike.

Sorry about that, had to get it off my chest, and now back to work :-(

t.