[ST] RE: st-digest V2002 #141

Mike I agree with you on that one....the one classification that really
blows my mind is that many bike mags have been placing the Hayabusa in the
Sports-Tourer  category.

And what category would you put it in? Seems pretty sporty to me. Handles
quite nicely, a little slow steering in the tight stuff. It's too heavy to
be in the sportbike category, and I wouldn't consider it a tourer. Sport
touring is unfortunately a catch-all category that includes anything from
Sprints to Thunderaces to Hayabusas, to Honda XXs and ZX12s. I would be hard
pressed to put a Trophy in the category and rather expect that the XJR1300
is going to be a bit porky to fall into my definition of one. If you are
willing to throw in 600 pound bikes in that category, then you allow much
more leeway than I do. But, om the other hand, I don't know what you would
call that in between stuff that comes between say mid 500 to mid 600 pound
bikes. If it's still Sport Touring, then there is obviously a lot more stuff
to be included, but I don't see how you can compare even a Sprint RS to a
Trophy, let alone an FJR1300. They may be the same category, but they
certainly don't perform the same. I used to have a ThunderAce (YZF1000) that
was called a sport tourer by the mags, but there ain't no way in hell I
would've traded it for the FZR1300. In fact, there's no way I'd trade my RS
for one.
Bare