RE: [ST] a short intro and a few questions

At 10:11 PM 10/03/02 -0500, Ken Mitchell wrote:
>new high pressure diecast cases, for better quality, consistentcy, lower
>weight. Moved the alternator from a gear driven type to the end of the
>crankshaft for efficiency. Intake valves are  bigger, exhaust valves a bit
>smaller. I think (not certain) that valve stems are smaller diameter. New
>closed-loop fuel injection (from Keihin?), Sagem is ditched. New FI mapping.

IIRC, compression is raised from 11.2:1 to 12:1 with the valve angle
narrowed as well. The main difference I noticed between my '00 and the '02
was definitely more top end power on the '02 (the motor was still pulling
hard when it hit the rev limiter) at the *possible* expense of a little low
end grunt (it was hard to tell). The idle was less stable than my '00,
which sits at a rock steady 1,200 rpm warm, while the '02 tends to hunt up
and down a bit. My '00 has the idle mixture dialled to 3% CO, while the '02
has an O2 sensor in the exhaust with a closed-circuit feedback loop. That
may account for the difference. Old Shep also has the off-road can.

Where the '02 ST felt really different is in the handling. It feels much
lighter and quicker to turn (though that may have something to do with the
30-odd pounds of junk I seem to carry in my hard bags most of the time).
The suspension feels firmer, and the whole bike more responsive. Of course,
it's quite a bit lighter, which could account for the difference in feel.

YRMV, so take a test ride :-)))

Sheep Dawg & Old Shep
Vancouver, BC
www.smith.bc.ca