[ST] a short intro and a few questions

<<
My question, what are the differences between the 2001 and 2002
models?

Welcome Lloyd.  As a person who traded in a '99 ST (46K miles on it) for an
'02 I have been slowly building a comparision between them.  I will try to
hit the highlights as it's late for me right now.  I only have @230 miles on
the current bike, but I have only had it a month.

1)  Most of the motor changes have been stated.  Included in the improvements
in the casting process they have improved crankcase breathing within for less
pumping loss.
2)  The Sagem computer stayed, but Keihin now makes the throttle bodies.
Indeed I also have noticed a bit of a hunt at idle(I also am running the
Triumph 'race can' on the '02).  As I understand from Wayne MacDonald(a man
who has cracked the tune code and has his own software for adjusting the ECU
mapping) the close loop 02 sensor is only in effect when at idle and small
throttle openings.  Under load it defaults to the standard 3D mapping as
before.  But the CO level is now set by the computer, not by the technicians
"Gameboy", this could be good, this could be bad.  Juries still out.
3)  A change not documented many places is the changes in switchgear, atleast
from the '99 to the '02.  I am informed the ST now wears the same switchgear
as the RS has.  I feel every button has been downsized just a little bit from
previous.  And it appears there is now a push/pull throttle cable system,
where previously there was only a single cable.
4)  I have found the handling to be the same, but my impression is tainted as
I had the front forks filled with Race Tech cartride emulators, thicker oil,
and stiffer rate springs to match the feel of the same modifications I had
done to the '99.  Unfortunatly Triumph didn't see fit to make any changes in
the suspension of the ST from previous years.  I did this mode because I
enjoy spirited riding, as well as touring and found the stock setup better
for touring than shifting my 200lbs at a more sporting pace.
5)  There have been improvements in the transmission shifter forks as well,
which have improved the ease of shifting.  Previous ST/RS trans were alittle
tight for their first thousand or so miles.  This made them feel hard
shifting and a bit clunky compaired to the rest of the industry, but they
improved over time and miles.  The new system is still positive, but not
nearly as toe breaking as the earlier ones could be.
6)  I'm not one to judge speed by color, but I will say this is my 2nd RED
bike in a row :)

If there is anything further you'd like to know, feel free to keep asking.
We enjoy giving that little nudge many folks need to jump for a Triumph.
Most are now hoplessly addicted.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen

PS.  To be honest I didn't haggle down the price of much on my purchase, all
retail.  They gave me a great trade in for the '99 and have always treated me
very well.  I grew up on their side of the counter having parents who owned a
bike dealership during the 70's and early 80's, I don't begrudge them their
fair share of the MSRP.